Sunday, 14 June 2015

Haworth, Harry - Private (43056)

1st/6th Battalion,
Manchester Regiment,
Died of Wounds,
5th September 1917,
Age 20.
Buried Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery.

Harry Haworth was born in Rising Bridge in February 1897. He was the son of James & Sarah Jane Haworth of 10, Hoyle Street, Rising Bridge and was baptised on 4 April 1897 at St. John’s Church, Stonefold. In 1901 Harry was still living at 10, Hoyle Street with his parents, two brothers John William and James and sisters Betty, Alice, Martha, Elizabeth and Grace. His older brother, John William, who was killed on 1 August 1917, is also commemorated on Stonefold War Memorial. The two brothers were killed within a month of each other, as Harry died on 5 September 1917 of wounds sustained at Ypres. He was formerly a Pte. 17075, in the King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment). He was 20 year of age and unmarried. Harry Haworth is buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, near Poperinghe, Belgium.

"On 31 July the Third Battle of Ypres (Passchendaele) opened with a terrific bombardment of the German positions. This lasted ten days and obliterated every sign of life and green thing that grew.
Unfortunately heavy rain turned the shell-pitted ground into a vast quagmire and thousands of shell holes into deep ponds of mud and slime.
On 1 September the 42nd (East Lancashire) Division moved into the line between a point south east of the Ypres-Menin railway on the right and the Frezenberg Ridge on the left. The front line was simply a series of linked up shell holes. The conditions were indescribable. Day and night German artillery fired shrapnel and high explosive into the trenches, roads and the duck-board paths.
In these conditions the 1st/6th Manchester Regiment were employed as carrying parties in support of the Lancashire Fusiliers who were to attack on 6 September. Pte. Haworth was wounded before the attack began so it must be supposed that he was wounded whilst carrying material, ammunition, etc., up to the front line in readiness. He was taken to a Casualty Clearing Station where he later died of his wounds". From – Bill Turner’s Book.