Saturday 4 July 2015

Collier, William Henry - Private (34432)

Pte William H Collier
Lancashire Fuisiliers,
Died of Wounds in the New Zealand Stationary Hospital,
9th June 1917,
Buried Hazebrouck Communal Cemetery.

Newspaper Report:

Mrs. Collier, of 35 Cross Street North, Haslingde, has received news that her husband, Private William Henry Collier, who was wounded in action on June 8th, 1917, died in the New Zealand Stationary Hospital, France, on June 9th.  He had been out 13 weeks.  He is on the roll of honour of Trinity Baptist Church, Haslingden, and was a weaver at Commercial Mill.

Newspaper Memorials:

In loving memory of Private William Henry Collier, of 35, Cross Street North, who died of wounds in the New Zealand Stationary hospital, Hazelbirch, France, June 9th, 1917.

"Not dead to us, we loved him dear,
Not lost, but gone before;
He lives with us in memory still,
And will for evermore."

From his Father and Mother, 35, Cross Street North, Haslingden.

"We are thinking of our loved one,
And our hearts are sad with pain,
Oh, this world would be like heaven,
Could we hear his voice again."

Sadly missed by Father and Mother.

"Dear is the spot where my husband is laid,
Dear is his memory that never shall fade;
A husband more true no one ever knew,
My tears start afresh when I think of you."

Sadly missed by his loving Wife Mabel.

"He nobly fell at duty's call,
He gave his life for one and all;
A loving brother, true and kind,
A beautiful memory he has left behind."

From his Brother in Law, Signaller J.T. Fowles, R.M.L.I., serving in France.

"Today brings back the memory,
Of one who is laid to rest,
And those that think of him to-day,
Are those who loved him best."

From Father and Mother in law at Helmshore.

"A day of remembrance sad to recall."

From  Mary, Jack and Nora (Bolton), and Sally and Walt.  (Crawshawbooth)

"Could I, his mother, have clasped his hand,
The son I loved so well;
To kiss his brow when death was nigh,
And whisper a last farewell.

This day brings back the memory,
Of my dear son laid to rest;
And I who think of him to-day,
Am the one who loved him best.

He died for one and all,
May his reward be as great as his sacrifice.

From his sorrowing Father and Mother, 35 Cross Street North.


William Henry Collier - Census Certificate (Click over to enlarge)






David Meller posted on 13th June 2018

I believe that this gentleman was not my grandad, however, he was my grandmother's first husband.
My grandmother's second husband was Albert Charles Meller who was my granddad. Subsequently she was married for a third time to Mr Samuel Craven.
It is my intention to visit the cemetery were Mr Collier is buried, sometime in August 2018. If I do, and I am successful in finding his grave, would a picture of his headstone be of interest to the site?