Thursday 25 June 2015

Entwistle, Richard - Private (19785)

Pte Richard Entwistle
8th Battalion,
King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)
Died of Wounds 10th March 1916,
Age 27
Buried Boulogne Eastern Cemetery

Newspaper Report: 

Private Richard Entwistle, son of Mr.  Benjamin Thomas Entwistle of Wamms Hall Cottage, Helmshore, has been killed at Ypres, where several Haslingden men appear to have been wounded.  On Thursday night of last week a telegram was received from the field saying that he was wounded, and on Friday there was a further telegram stating his death.  The deceased, who was 27 years of age, enlisted in the King's Own Lancasters on July 23rd of last year, and he went out to France in November.  He was previously a carter for Mrs. Robert Knowles, Helmshore, and a scholar at Musbury Church Sunday School.  He was a fine young fellow and was highly esteemed.  The family have received a letter written on the day that he died (March 9th), together with a letter from the Church of England Chaplain of the same date.  The letter from the deceased, addressed to his mother, father and brother, was written by a bedmate at his dictation, it reads:- "Just a line hoping this letter will find you in the best of health.  I am sorry to tell ou I have got wounded last Thursday, in the leg and hip, and some of my mates got killed with the same shell.  I wish you could send me a parcel of a few grapes or a banana or two, and a tin of health salts.  I am bedfast and in a warm bed.  If you could send me a postal order I could get a few sweets.  I am in the 3rd Canadian base hospital.  I expect I shall get to England when I get a bit better, but just now I can hardly move.  This is the first time I have been able to send a message, and a bedmate is writing for me.  I close with the hope of hearing from you, and remain your loving son, Richard."  The letter from the chaplain, the Rev. R.W. Ridgway, addressed to the bereaved mother, says: - "Your son Robert was brought to this hospital last night from the front.  He was very badly wounded.  I am sorry to say we despaired of saving him, but the doctors tried everything to help him.  He had been exposed for some time before he was rescued, and that of course lessened his chance.  He was operated on this morning and did not suffer any pain after it was over, but his condition did not improve.  He was quite conscious this evening so I had prayers with him and he received the holy communion.  He rested quietly after that, but he began to sink about 9pm and passed away about 10.45pm  The end was very peaceful and quiet, and free from pain.  I cannot say how sorry I am.  God alone can comfort bleeding hearts of the bereaved in this terrible war.  There is at least this to be thankful for, that your dear son died where there were gentle hearts to minister to him and comfort him, and not in the dreadful trenches at the front.  He will be buried in the English cemetery at Boulogne."



Pte Richard Entwistle - Census Information - (Click over to enlarge)



Gravestone Commemorating Pte Richard Entwistle
at St. Thomas Churchyard, Helmshore
Photo: Jeff Stevens
(Click over the photo to enlarge)